What Is XRP?
The XRP Ledger (XRPL) is a decentralized, public blockchain led by a global developer community. It’s fast, energy efficient, and reliable. With ease of development, low transaction costs, and a knowledgeable community, it provides developers with a strong open-source foundation for executing on the most demanding projects - without hurting the environment.
History Of XRP?
In 2011, three engineers—David Schwartz, Jed McCaleb, and Arthur Britto—began developing the XRP Ledger (XRPL). Fascinated by Bitcoin, they set out to create a better version that improved upon its limitations—with the goal of creating a digital asset that was more sustainable and built specifically for payments. The XRP Ledger first launched in June 2012. Shortly thereafter, they were joined by Chris Larsen, and the group started the Company NewCoin in September 2012 (quickly renamed OpenCoin and now named Ripple). The XRPL founders gifted 80 billion XRP, the platform’s native currency, to the company. Ripple has since put the majority in escrow.
Roadmap of XRP
- 2011 - XRP Ledger Development
- 2012 - XRPL Launches its Native Currency, XRP
- 2013 - OpenCoin Rebranded to Ripple Labs
- 2020 - XRPL Foundation Launched
Where To Buy XRP?
XRP is traded on more than 100 markets and exchanges worldwide, you can buy XRP (Ripple) from any of these exchanges.
Team behind XRP
Brad Garlinghouse - CEO of Ripple and a member of the Board of Directors
David Schwartz - Chief Technology Officer
Kristina Campbell - Chief Financial Officer
Monica Long - GM of RippleX
Frquently Asked Questions
- What is the difference between XRP, XRP Ledger, and Ripple?
- XRP is the digital asset native to XRP Ledger. The XRP Ledger is an open-source, distributed ledger. Ripple is a privately held company.
- How secure is XRP?
- The XRP Ledger is where XRP transactions occur and are recorded.
- Is the XRP Ledger centralized?
- The XRP Ledger is decentralized. If Ripple ceased to exist, the XRP Ledger would continue to exist.
- Can Ripple freeze XRP transactions? Are they able to view or monitor transactions?
- No one can freeze XRP, including Ripple. All transactions on XRP Ledger are publicly viewable.
- Can Ripple create more XRP?
- No. Ripple the company didn’t create XRP; 100 billion XRP was created before the company was formed, and after Ripple was founded, the creators of XRP gifted a substantial amount of XRP to the company.